Multiple Xbox Ones on a Home Network?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sat, 07/04/2015 - 07:42
DarthClem's picture
Currently Playing: 

Multiple Xbox Ones on a Home Network?

My son and I each have an Xbox One on our home network.  Most of the time, we don't have issues gaming with each other or in a group with others.  In order to keep our Xbox NATs open, I have his Xbox parked in the DMZ and for mine, I've done all the recommended port forwarding.  Still, mine will sometimes revert back to a Strict NAT, which can require a combination of Xbox and modem rebooting.

Unfortunately, we do have sometimes have bigger issues.  We can't party up in Disney Infinity (upon accepting an invite, it drops the invitee back the the dashboard).  Sometimes we have issues partying up with people in Diablo 3 or Borderlands.  I've also heard there are similar problems with Destiny.

After doing a lot of Google searching, it looks like there are two possible solutions: 1. Pay for a couple of static IP addresses from our ISP (AT&T U-Verse), or 2. Set our modem to passthrough mode and purchase a really good router with UPNP.

Has anyone here had any experience with either of these two methods to get two Xbox Ones running flawlessly and simultaneously on a home network?  Any advice, warnings, words of wisdom, etc.?

Sat, 07/04/2015 - 09:34
DEEP_NNN's picture
Currently Playing: 

Ah, the mysteries of the universe.

I doubt you will find one solution to fit all your problems.

People will say their setup always works and it probably does but equipment is the dividing factor.

I've got two XB1 behind a modem and Asus AC68U (high end ) router. Sometimes I can have both show open nat and other times not. Invariably, I have my best success by rebooting the router and turning the XB1 on in the order I want for open nat.

DMZ is not a cure-all for open nat and I've read enough articles to understand each router treats it differently and therefore have mixed results. I suspect you can't use DMZ or Port Forwarding and UPnP at the same time.

It's space magic. That's all I have.

Sat, 07/04/2015 - 12:54
GUL74's picture
Currently Playing: 
Though I don't have two Xbox one's it might be worth calling your internet provider they may be able to help with the Nat issue
Sun, 07/05/2015 - 10:55
OldnAchy's picture
Currently Playing: 

Somewhere in another thread I mentioned my distrust of modem/router combos.  My recommendation is to get a really good high end (AC1600 or higher) router and use that to manage your network.

Tue, 07/07/2015 - 11:03
DarthClem's picture
Currently Playing: 

Well, I got my block of static IPs from AT&T and now have both of my Xbox Ones with simultaneously Open NATs (without any port forwarding).  However, the issue with Disney Infinity 2.0 still exists, which is pretty disappointing.  The Infinity Developers claim this is a very rare issue and while they've been able to duplicate it, they haven't managed to solve it.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 01:35
Bee's picture
Bee

Some fuckery is afoot for sure with these xbox ones.  I have always hardwired my gaming consoles in the past.  My wife just got another console to play games with me, same room, about 10 feet from my gateway routher thing the cable company provided.  She was playing on wifi, we had major issues in game.  So I says, hey we should probably just get a better router and hard wire both systems.  We do that, even more fuckery.  After trying every combo possible, I attached my wifi to the new router, her wifi to the old gateway, and voila, magic.  So basically we both have to play wireless, and also assign our consoles to seperate wifi signals.

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 07:06 (Reply to #6)
DarthClem's picture
Currently Playing: 

I'll give the wireless thing a try -- I think it's the only thing I haven't done.  I've noticed since yesterday when I got the static IPs that my Kindle keeps trying to grab one of them and won't connnect to the internet regardless of whether it uses a static IP or DHCP assigned.  So, on the whole, it looks like static IPs were a bust...

Wed, 07/08/2015 - 08:05
OldnAchy's picture
Currently Playing: 

Wonder if a dual or triple band router will give the same result wireless -- connect one XBONE to band one and the other to band two.  For most routers, each band has its own network or SSID.

Sat, 07/11/2015 - 06:30
YEM's picture
YEM
Currently Playing: 

Nothing to add except hi clem!

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p